Hubertus Leo, LL.M
Hubertus Leo, LL.M.
Tel. +49 (40) 3008510-31
Fax +49 (40) 3008510-99
Mobile +49 (172) 9969395
Hubertus Leo has been an attorney in the field of transactional advice since 1991. He advises mostly on medium-sized transactions, but he has also advised on large cross-border private equity investments as well as venture capital Investments and joint ventures. Furthermore, he advises companies of all sizes – from start-ups to small or medium-sized companies (SMEs) to listed corporations – an all aspects of corporate law. His clientele includes, among others, listed corporations, financial investors, and German „Mittelstand“ companies, especially family-owned businesses. He often advises the management in connection with management buy-outs. His industry focuses are telecommunications and technology companies. Hubertus is a partner of Leo Schmidt-Hollburg Witte & Frank.
Areas of Specialization: Corporate law, M&A, private equity, venture capital.
Languages: German, English, French.
Recommendations: Juve: Recommended lawyer for M&A (2005 to date), recommended lawyer for Corporate (2000 to date), recommended lawyer for Private Equity & Venture Capital (2000 to 2010). PLC Which Lawyer: TMT/telecommunications. Best Lawyers®: Corporate Law Germany (2014 to date), M&A Germany (2015 to date), Venture Capital Germany (2018).
„Excellent, foresighted and experienced“ (competitor, JUVE 2017)
“Cool M&A lawyer“ (competitor, JUVE 2017)
“Experienced and pragmatic in corporate, M&A and corporate litigation” (competitor, JUVE 2016)
“Tactically clever and foresighted” (client, JUVE 2011)
Vita: Born: 1962. Professional Education and Experience: Studies in Munich (law, 1st State Examination, 1988), Paris (Sorbonne University), and at the McGeorge School of Law in Sacramento, California (Master of Laws in Transnational Business Practice, 1994). Legal traineeship (Referendariat) in Berlin (2nd State Examination, 1991). Attorney with Bruckhaus Westrick Stegemann (now: Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer), Hamburg (1991 to 1996), Milbank, Tweed, Hadley & McCloy, New York (1994), Luther & Partner, Hamburg (1996 to 1999), Löhde Leo Schmidt-Hollburg & Witte (1999 to 2013), and Leo Schmidt-Hollburg Witte & Frank (2013 to date). See also the profile on LinkedIn.
Member: IBA, German-American Lawyers‘ Association (GALA).
- Shareholders of Finanzcheck on limited auction and sale to Scout24 AG
- ZERTUS GmbH on sale of Löser Waffelfabrik to Storck group
- Swedish Match AB (publ.) on the exit from Arnold André GmbH & Co. KG
- Norwegian investment bank Pareto Securities AS on joint venture with Ernst Russ AG
- Spudy Invest GmbH on financing round for medical technology company ROWIAK
- ZERTUS GmbH on acquisition of Bio-Zentrale Naturprodukte GmbH from Lindhorst group
- Spudy Invest GmbH on indirect acquisition of ICR from UBS Deutschland AG
- Max Schön GmbH, a Sanistål group company, on the divestiture of HEPA Wälzlager GmbH & Co. KG
- Tchibo GmbH on sale of Tchibo Energy GmbH to Lichtblick SE.
- Management in tertiary buyout of Polytech-Domilens by Stirling Square Capital Partners
- Ebro Foods GmbH on sale of German pasta business (Birkel, 3Glocken) to Italian/Swiss Newlat Group
- Management in secondary buyout of Domilens by Odewald KMU
- Ebro Foods GmbH on MBO of subsidiary Möwe Teigwarenfabrik GmbH
- Management in buyout of BJC Best Job Consulting GmbH by Capiton AG
- VIVUM Corporate Real Estate on the structuring of its investment funds, on the acquisition of numerous portfolio assets, and on various exits
- Capital Stage AG on sale of 49 % interest in solar plant company to Google
- Capital Stage AG on sale of portfolio company GBA to Adiuva Capital
- Management in buyout of cadooz AG by Palamon Capital Partners
- Capital Stage AG on the acquisition of a minority interest in solar cell producer Inventux Technologies AG
- Shareholders of Boomerang Medien AG on merger with Edgar Medien AG
- ZERTUS GmbH on sale of wholly owned subsidiary Theodor Kattus to Fuchs Gewürze group
- Granville Baird fund on exit of Florida based portfolio company Apptimum to Microsoft
- Sulo, a portfolio company of private equity investors Apax and Blackstone, on acquisition of Cleanaway from Australian conglomerate Brambles
- Apollo Management fund on merger of cable TV operators Unity Media and Iesy with Telecolumbus (held by BC Partners)
- ZERTUS GmbH on acquisition of Dextro Energy from Unilever
- Management in buyout of Miles International by MPC and Hannover Finanz
- ZERTUS GmbH on acquisition of Pulmoll from Royal Numico
- Granville Baird fund on acquisition of Hahl Group
- Management on secondary buyout of Phoenix Xtra Print GmbH by BPE
- G+J Multimedia Ventures GmbH on acquisition of handy.de
- Liberty Media on attempted acquisition of TV cable operator Telecolumbus group
- Granville Baird fund on acquisition of mobile.de
- ZERTUS GmbH on acquisition of Kattus from Campbell’s
- Wünsche AG on acquisition of JOOP! GmbH and Cinque
- Tele Danmark on acquisition of Talkline Group